Monday, July 6, 2009

The Day Before I Turn 20

Yes, this is the post about the day before I turn twenty. Yes, twenty, not twenty-one, not twenty-something(I have to constantly remind my new friends who constantly reminds me that I'm not acting my age enugh).

The day before I turn twenty, I spent the whole day in the shoes of a full-time housewife. To be more specific, I walked in the shoes of a Vietnamese migrant-housewife attempting to cook an Indonesian dish. To illustrate this otherwise confusing and absurd disposition, I have to go back to the wise idea i proposed last Friday. Upon seeing the TV ad of MJ's Last Concert airing on Channel 7, I turned to Jessie and said, "hey, let's order Pizza and watch MJ's concert on TV next Monday. We can call Yan and Tsu Mei over!" Our heads bopped up and down excitedly. 5 minutes later, I said, "Nah forget Pizza, I'll cook." I cooked last week as a result of my PMS and everyone seemed pleased, i just had to smother everyone with my motherly love once more! Snort. Yea right. Anyways...I decided to try my hands at Indonesian cuisine this time, in honour of Yan. He's the second person I know who's as excited about Tempe as I am so he earned it.

Don't ask me how and why the combination of MJ and Gado-gado came about, besides both being very mixed and confused. I've only heard of Gado-gado, and all i know is that it is similar to our Malaysian Pasembur or Indian Rojak, because Peanut Sauce is the base of both dishes.

For the Vietnamese part, it was because I had to take a tram down to Richmond-one of the suburbs that has a relatively large Vietnamese community (i will blog about it next time, makes me miss my Vietnamese friends back home) to do my marketing. Victoria Market is closed on Mondays and Wednesdays. I bought a Mortar at one of the Asian groceries (actually, only Asian groceries exist in that area). I know, I'm a poor student who is about to get poorer very very soon, but I felt that the Mortar would be a good investment. It's like listenin to LPs, something is just different.

I'm off topic again. Bottom line is, I spent the whole afternoon in the kitchen, pounding my own Sambal Belacan, boiling Dried Longan Tong Sui and my Gado-gado. Whew. It was more work than I anticipated. But it was well worth it, especially seeing the homesickness on Yan's face. MJ rocked the house too, as always. With Jiajia away, we could finally crank our TV volume up t0 50 and scream our hearts out.

It's fifteen pass 12 now. I've turned twenty according to Australian time. My phone line is open and I'm really hoping you'll call.

1215am and I'm talking to you and i'm happy.

1 comment: