Saturday, February 28, 2009

Confessions of a domesticholic?

I love my saturdays here. Why? Because it's the secon laundry day of the week (first is wednesday) and the day i get to do my marketing and groecry shopping for the week ahead. I know, 'Is she nuts?' No, well, confession is it's one of the days of the week which reminds me most of home.

Fortunately for me, Victoria Market is a paradise. I would say it beats Malaysian markets in almost every aspect. There's a huge range of food and things you can here,from essentials like meat, seafood, vegetables, fruits-fresh and dried, breads and confectionary, cheese and dips, clothes, souveineirs, pots and plants, etc. They even have wine tasting stalls.It's wise to go on Saturday afternoon, from 2-3pm because that's when the sellers slash their prices by 30-50%. The nearer you get to 3pm (sometimes even after),the lower the price will go. Hence,don't be too disappointed to see a stall selling 1kg grapes at AUD$1 when you've bought yours at AUD$3/kg. I still get that 'WHAT?!' moments, but really, just get on with life. Speaking of grapes, the grapes are reallllllly cheap. I saw a stall selling a box of green grapes for $3..and i think it's more than 3kg! Also, they sell stuff by the kilogram but not to worry, so far i think they're quite honest with they're weighing system. Though, my friend did warned me of some arrogant, cunning sellers. Another good tip is to first walk one round and mentally taking down notes of the prices (this is when you put your photographic memory skills to practise). By doing so, you can avoid the 'WHAT?!' moments mentioned earlier on. Unless you're rushing for time, i sincerely encourage adopting this habit.

It is also good to go with a bunch of friends because it's cheaper to buy in bulk (duh!) and share amongst yourselves. Marketing can be mentally and physically exhausting, so , I like to treat myself (and my marketing buddy) to Churros (that's Spanish doughnuts) at the end of my marketing trip. You'll find this at the far end of the market, in a white van. Haha. Another good recommendation by Yik Han! Oh, another famous food in Vic Market (by my observation) is Bourek. It's basically a flat pie with either lamb, beef or spinach filling. Very similar to Taiwanese 烧餅. I've tried it once but I think the Cheese and Spinach were too salty so it didn't leave me craving for more.

I wish i could post some pics here but my internet speed is excruciatingly slow... hopefully i can one day. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment