Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Between the devil and the deep blue sea

It has been a windy day in Melbourne today. Last night the Victorian Police unit send a warning message to each mobile phone regarding extreme weather and strong winds. The weather was indeed extreme. We were greeted by a light shower early in the morning (i got partially wet walking to campus), dry and dusty afternoon, light drizzle again in the evening and strong winds throughout the day. The wind is somehow not like the ones back home in Malaysia as it was sandy and had a blade-like chill to it. I finally understood why sunnies were not only fashionable but essential---for the first time in my lfe i actually felt like wearing mine (i usually dont for i dont know what reasons?) because sand and stones were getting into my eyes.

One of the things I still cant seem to get a hold of is the Melbourne weather. Somehow i am always under or over dressed. For example, last week, i wore long pants and jumpers out on a sunny day and immediately felt like an alaskan caught in sahara. Then, vowing to not make the same mistake again, i opted to wear my mini jean skirt and a T-shirt, totally oblivious to the fact that the weather was max 21degress that day. Again, i felt like a bimbo stranded in Mt Alpines. Then today, I pulled off a Marilyn Monroe stunt while waiting at a T-junction. The sudden gush of wind just decided to pull a prank on me and offered the bunch of Chinese guys across the road a sneak preview up my skirt. I managed to draw the curtains (or so i hope). There's nothing sexy nor flirtatious about that,mind you! Not when your hair is all in a mess, both hands are busy holding down your skirt and books while you're bracing the strong winds.

Most importantly,there were times when I felt the wind was practically blowing me off my center. Physically and mentally. I have to confess, the first two days of uni has been hectic and intimidating. Especially during Writing and editing media texts classes. Suddenly I felt like a little primary school kid back at my first day of school. No, come to think of it, I think I was braver then as compared to now. RMIT courses are really demanding and i know i've really got to push myself hard. It's the understanding of a whole new culture and relating myself to it. At the same time, it's about getting them to relate to mine. How as a communicator, am I going to convince this new crowd whose culture seems so far off from mine? Find a balance i suppose. Find the core of all humanity that every human being can relate to. Like coca cola. Everyone can relate to coca cola. Hence the things that i bring to the table must be like coca cola.

It makes last year seem like a walk in the clouds. That said, i really enjoy what I'm learning and the world of communications seem to fascinate me more. I just got to be more matured, more culturally sensitive and observant to raise the bar for myself.

1 comment:

  1. I suppose challenges makes our life more interesting. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete